Sunday, May 1, 2011

My thoughts on love and 80s movies...

"Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boom box outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."


No, John Hughes did not, in fact, direct my life. I wasn't even born when most of these movies came out. However, when I look back at my dating life I realized that I have had these same thoughts/feelings before. At one point I thought I had found my very own Patrick Dempsey-sans the perfect hair. He was perfect in my eyes, charming and loved me. It was all sunshine and butterflies until one day it wasn't. At first I was heartbroken, but now I look back and think about how grateful I am for that experience. It may not have been perfect or have ended like an 80s movie, but it was wonderful while it lasted.

As I have grown from the experience of my "first love", I have learned that love is not supposed to be the way that the movies portray it. I have realized that there is not one perfect man out there in the world for me, but that there are many worthy contenders out there. Sure they might not hold a boom box outside my window, or wait outside of my sister's wedding leaning against a sexy red car for me, and he might not even fist pump for me. But in the grand scheme of things, none of that truly matters. As long as we find a worthy man (in every sense of the word) who loves me and only wants what is best for me, what else matters? Certainly not the car, or the perfect hair or the fist pump. Those are all just minute details that should be left to the movies.

2 comments:

  1. They might not hold a boom box over their head outside your window... but then again... they just might. There is happy medium between high standards and reality. God knows His girls and puts people in our lives that with the ability to fulfill us and even sometimes pull off somthing Dempsey-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Hayley, and I must say that any man who finally wins your heart, will definitely fist pump (or punch) the air. I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure that Andrew pumped his arm in the air once he finally got me, and I'm sure that he did in his heart once we finally are married. I'll have to ask him when he gets home. The key is to find someone who would do that if that was his style. ;)

    ReplyDelete